Archive photo
Archive photo

The Sultanate of Oman announced that the Sultanate’s governorates will be completely closed from Saturday, 25 July to 8 August, as part of the precautionary measures that the Sultanate is taking to prevent the outbreak of the new Corona virus.

The Omani News Agency said that the closure includes a curfew, and the closure of all public places and shops during the mentioned period, which includes Eid al-Adha, from seven in the evening until six in the morning.

The statement issued by the Ministry of Health described the move as a "complete closure" of all governorates.

During the closing period, patrols and checkpoints will be intensified during the day.

The Sultanate also announced the continuation of prohibitions of all kinds of gatherings, especially Eid prayers, traditional Eid markets (landings), greeting gatherings, and collective celebrations of the feast.

Last March, Oman imposed closings in certain areas such as Muscat, Dhofar, Duqm, and some tourist towns, but since April it has begun a gradual easing of procedures, allowing the reopening of commercial centers and raising the procedures for closure and general isolation from the Muscat Governorate, which includes the capital.

The Sultanate closed the air and land borders except to return the stranded.

The government said last week that it would begin allowing its citizens to fly by air after obtaining a permit.

Today, the Omani Ministry of Health recorded 1487 new cases of Coronavirus, including 1159 for Omanis, and 328 for non-Omanis, bringing the total number of cases registered in the Sultanate to 69887 and 337 deaths, and 46,608 cases of recovery